France, June 6, 1918

Dear Emma:-

I did not have any letters from you for 3 days but this morning was made very happy by the receipt of those you wrote on May 28, 28 &30 respectively.

Well, I managed to get up to the C.C.S. and see Margaret yesterday afternoon. She is in good health and spirits and is still on night duty. She expects to have another week of it. I reached the C.C.S. at about 4 p.m. and had tea with the sisters. After the tea we went to a concert given by the 3rd Cdn. Division entertainment party. The show was very good and well worth one’s while. After the show Major Bell, who was with me, and I had dinner with the O.C.C.C.S. and then sat in the sisters’ lounge until eleven p.m. when it was time to take our departure. Fortunately the unit was not taking in yesterday or last night and Margaret was not busy. I saw Miss Lynch who is looking very well indeed.

Margaret is quite concerned about the long hours of duty that you are doing and I fear from what I gather from your letters to day that her anxiety is quite justified. My dear I do not want you to get tired out. I do not understand why it should be necessary for you to return to the wards after 9 p.m. Of course if you were in a hospital giving active treatment I could understand everyone having to do extra hours during a rush but I fail to see why such a thing should be part of the regular routine in a convalescent hospital.

The sisters have very nice quarters prettily situated and their only fear is that they may have to move. The Huns have been bombarding the town but none of the shells have fallen near the hospital. There are also enemy planes around nearly every night but up to date they have done no damage. The search lights got on to one large bombing plane the other night and one of our fighters who was up shot him down. The nurses were all out watching the fight. The Hun came down in flames. One of the crew jumped out and was killed of course, and 3 charred bodies were found in the wreckage.

It was quite cold enough for Alberta last night. We had a long weary ride home after dark but reached our destination without any mishap. I came away with out my stick though.

You asked me about Al Spencer. He was slightly wounded up the line somewhere by a shell but I do not think his injuries were severe enough to require his evacuation.

I have heard that there is a Canadian mail in the war zone but none of it has come our way yet.

Good bye for present and please do not overwork yourself.

Yours with greatest love,

Harold W. McGill

Published in: on March 20, 2008 at 8:00 am  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: