France, October 5, 1918

Dearest Emma;_

Your letter of Sept 30 came to hand this afternoon. I did not have a letter of any kind in the mail yesterday. To-day I had two, yours, and one from my brother. His was dated Sept 8.

We are getting most peculiar weather. Rain is threatening most of the time, and yet very little falls. It is most fortunate for us that the rain does keep away as well. The sky is all clouded up now, 17:30, and I hope that it remains so until daylight to-morrow for fine clear nights are “No bon” in this country.

Yesterday we moved from the field in which we were encamped into a village from which the Hun was driven out only a few days ago. The billets are a sight. There are some good cellars for the men though, and some of our handymen are busy rendering some of the rooms in one or two houses tolerably habitable. Nearly all the directing signs in the village are still in German.

The news as you say is good. We heard yesterday that Turkey had asked for peace. It would not surprise me if this news were true but we shall have to wait for the paper to-morrow before we receive confirmation. Nevertheless the Germans are still putting up a ferocious resistance and I think we would be wise to count on at least another year of war.

I hear General Bell is getting along fairly well considering the serious nature of his wound. He is still at a Cdn. C.C.S.

With all my love.

Yours ever

Harold W. McGill

Published in: on June 23, 2008 at 8:00 am  Leave a Comment  
Tags: ,

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: